A great twist on twice baked potatoes.
Smoked, stuffed, wrapped and topped. This is almost a meal in itself
First potatoes are foil wrapped and placed in the smoker for about 3 hours or until tender.
Once the potatoes are cooked and cooled a bit, cut the top off of the potato and scoop out the potato pulp but leave enough around the wall of the potato for support.
I used a melon baller and it worked a treat.
Mash the potato pulp with some butter, sour cream and diced spring onion. The mixture should be like firm mashed potatoes.
Since the potatoes were lopped off at the top, that leaves you with rounded bottomed potatoes, trim a little off the bottom of the potato so it will stand upright.
Fill the potatoes with the pulp mixture then wrap the filled potato with a slice of bacon, securing with a toothpick.
Place the potatoes back in the smoker for 45 minutes to an hour, then top with sour cream and cheese before serving.
I use gargantuan bakers and cut them in half horizontally. These were made using only two huge bakers.
I've also made these on the grill using the indirect heat method.
These are well worth the little extra effort to make and are a big hit at a BBQ.
Smoked Volcano Potatoes
2 russet potatoes
1/2 cup sour cream + 2 spoonfuls to top with before serving
1 cup of grated cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese)
2 tablespoons of diced green onion
4 strips of bacon for wrapping potatoes
2 to 4 strips of bacon for potato filling
1/2 stick of butter
1. Preheat smoker to 250 degrees.
2. Wash potatoes, poke with a fork, cover in olive oil and salt, wrap in foil, and place on
3. Smoke potatoes for 2.53 hours or until slightly tender.
4. Cut the top of potato off and scoop out potato filling. Leave enough potato intact for
5. In a separate bowl, mix potato filling with chopped bacon, butter, sour cream, and
6. Wrap potatoes with bacon securing with toothpicks.
7. Fill potatoes with filling – top with cheese.
8. Place back in smoker for 45 minutes – 1 hour.
9. Top with sour cream and green onion (sour cream will heat and run down the side of
Masterbuilt smokers recipe
And that's that