I know, I know Panzanella salads have bread in them. This was going to a BBQ later, so I added the bread and dressing when I got there.
This is my take on the Peach and Cornbread Panzanella salad Katie Lee has on the food network.
I say "my take" on the salad as if my creative juices were flowing when in actuality, whenever I made this if I was lacking some basil I’d substitute flat leaf parsley, and so far I’ve never used cornbread, I’ve been using pita bread that I toasted and cut into cubes. I always use Persian cucumbers, I can't remember the last time I bought an English cucumber the original recipe calls for.
The dressing is a pretty straight forward vinaigrette with the addition of capers.
I usually make salad dressings in canning jars. They have nice wide mouths, and the lids don't leak when you shake the jars to mix the ingredients.
The salad ingredients are few and simple, with the exception of the peaches and bread, this is one of the salads I make frequently.
Our Middle Eastern students loved it so I tried to have cucumber, onion and tomato salad with the evening meal.
I hope this entices you to make this salad. You don't even have to add the bread, just don't call it panzanella or the salad police will come looking for you.
Peach Panzanella Salad
- 2 large peaches cut into cubes
- 3 Persian cucumbers cut into same size cubes as the peaches
- 1-pint grape tomatoes halved
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 15 basil leaves torn or parsley leaves from 6-8 sprigs of parsley roughly chopped
- Salad toppings:
- 2 cups of toasted and cubed bread of your choice cut into 1/2 to 1-inch cubes, .
- 6 slices prosciutto for garnish, optional
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon style mustard
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped capers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- For the dressing:
In a pint size canning jar combine all the dressing ingredients, screw the lid on tightly and shake.
Or; whisk the dressing ingredients together in a large salad bowl
- For the salad:
Add the salad ingredients to a large salad bowl and toss with the shaken dressing.
Or; add the salad ingredients and toss with the whisked dressing in the salad bowl.
- Salad topping:
Add the bread cubes and toss again, then place prosciutto slices on top of the salad.
And that's that!